When it comes to a great smile, having white teeth is not the only factor to consider. Well-shaped, healthy-looking gums help showcase the teeth and improve the appearance of the smile. Swollen, excessive and uneven gums can seriously compromise the overall appearance of the teeth. Laser gum recontouring is a procedure that can correct gum problems and improve oral health and smiles.
What is Laser Gum Recontouring?
During the laser gum recontouring process the dentist uses a diode laser to sculpt and shape the gum tissue. First, the patient will receive a local anaesthetic to numb the gums and eliminate any possible discomfort. Next, the dentist will use the laser to gently reshape the gum line, correct asymmetrical gums and remove any excessive gum tissue.
The laser gum recontouring procedure itself is completely painless, since the dentist will use a numbing agent on the gums to eliminate any discomfort . After the procedure, gums may feel sore or swollen for up to a week. However, this will not interfere in any way with everyday life. Patients do not need to take time off from work or school in order to recover. The short-term discomfort associated with the procedure can be easily treated with Ibuprofen to minimize swelling and reduce pain.
Here are some of the major benefits associated with laser dentistry:
- Procedures performed using soft tissue dental lasers may not require sutures (stitches).
- Certain laser dentistry procedures do not require anaesthesia.
- Laser dentistry minimizes bleeding because the high-energy light beam aids in the coagulation (clotting) of exposed blood vessels, thus inhibiting blood loss.
- Bacterial infections are minimized because the high-energy beam sterilizes the area being worked on.
- Damage to surrounding tissue is minimized.
- Wounds heal faster and tissue can be regenerated.