City Bridge Dental Meetings
Monday 27 November 2017: Mary Gibson hosts Periodontal event in association with the Solent Periodontal Society
6.30pm for registration and refreshments, first lecture starts at 19:00. Price includes intermission buffet and two lectures with Q&A session.
“Nutrition, Inflammation and the Microbiome” presented by Dr Caroline Childs BSc (Hons) PhD RNutr
Objectives: This lecture will include:
- Why nutrition is so important for our immune system, and the challenges of nutrition research!
- How omega-3 fatty acids can have anti-inflammatory effects with real health benefits.
- What the microbiome is, and how it is changed by the food we eat, where we live, and many other factors.
- How eating foods like probiotics and prebiotics can influence health by changing our microbiome.
About the speaker:
Lecturer in Nutritional Sciences and Nutrition Society Ambassador University of Southampton, Academic Integrity Officer for the Faculty of Medicine, Staff Engagement Champion for Human Development and Health, South East Regional Representative for the Association for Nutrition, Associate Editor on the Editorial Board of Nutritional Immunology and an Editorial Board member of The Journal of Nutrition.
“Alzheimer’s and Periodontal Disease” presented by Professor Nicola West BDS, PhD(Wales), FDSRCS
Aim: There is an association between periodontitis and increased risk for Alzheimer’s Disease (AD), a common cause of dementia. The aim of this presentation is to present contemporary evidence of this association.
- Gain knowledge on recent epidemiologic, microbiologic and inflammatory associations between periodontal disease and Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Gain an understanding of potential pathways the bacteria may follow to the brain.
- Discuss the effect of long-term reduction of bacteria by effective dental hygiene and how this may help prevent further neuronal degeneration.
About the speaker:
Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry, Chair of Periodontology Bristol Dental School, Clinical trials lead, Secretary of the British Society Periodontology, regional post graduate tutor for the British Society of Periodontology and on the Editorial Board member of the Journal of Dentistry.
2 Hours VCPD
Venue: Chilworth Manor, Southampton, SO16 7PT
Cost: £40, £30 for BSP Members and Hygienists
Evaluation and CPD certificates emailed after the event
Sponsored by Wright Dental and Dentsply